CHEO Dream Home Tour

Tuesday, October 20, 2015


photo: Jean Levac, Ottawa Citizen
This past Sunday, on the recommendation of several people, I made Chad come with me to the Third World Bazar. Now that he works and lives from my parents' house he is much more agreeable about going on "ridiculous" outings with me. We didn't last long at the Bazar because "someone" called it "the place where all the tourist crap goes to die." Please ignore Chad, it was actually quite good and I could have spent at least an hour in there, especially with the beautiful Turkish rugs they had. In order to get me to shut up make the most of the drive out there, we decided to drop into some model homes out in Manotick because I love a good model home. Not only did we find model homes but the model home of all model homes- the SHOW HOME (Imagine me saying that with a full choir backing me up)!

The Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) dream home is the largest part of the $1.7 million top prize and is a departure from the homes designed by Minto for the lottery in the past. I always imagined these lottery show homes, especially in Ottawa, to be a bit formal and stuffy for my liking but designer Donna Correy has created a modern interior that made me buy a ticket (well, made me make Chad buy a ticket). In case you can't make it out there yourself, here are a few photos. Some I took and some I grabbed from the internet because the house was pretty crowded and I thought you may not be interested in looking at a bunch of strangers. Exhibit A:


I think his face says it all. Doesn't he look super excited to be visiting the show home? Okay back to the good pictures...

photo: Fred Chartrand, Ottawa Sun
The entryway had modern glass paneled doors and was the first of many interesting light fixtures.


While the furniture wasn't my favourite-I think La-|Z-boy sponsored that-I loved the artwork, the walnut flooring, and the lighting. All the lighting was from Living Lighting.

photo: Fred Chartrand, Ottawa Sun
I liked the idea of using a bookcase/shelf in the dining room. A great alternative to a buffet and a great way to showcase all your pretty dishes. I'm also enjoying the art placement above the shelf. It balances out the height of the artwork on the opposite wall. Not enjoying the weird snake flowers and the pot of sticks.


photo: Fred Chartrand, Ottawa Sun
Yeah...and then this! While a lot of visitors (like our friend in the first picture) seemed most impressed with the hockey rink in the basement, this was my version of an indoor skating rink. I'm not going to show you the hockey themed basement because I obviously couldn't care less, but this staircase, glass wall, light fixture situation was perfection. If only we had the small fortune it would cost to install this.

photo: Fred Chartrand, Ottawa Sun
The only potential downside I could see would be how to clean this glass wall? I imagine if you can afford to have this installed you have the money to pay someone else to clean it. I think the grand prize also comes with a cleaning service-they thought of everything!


My second favourite part was the kitchen and butlers pantry. My obsession with geometric tile continues and this backsplash tile mixes it with my other obsession-marble. 


Again, great light fixtures! The integrated wood and quartz top island that also serves as the eat-in kitchen was an interesting idea. 
photo: Jean Levac, Ottawa Citizen

photo: Fred Chartrand, Ottawa Sun
Gahhh...tile close-up. I also liked the wood framed cabinets. Wasn't such a fan of the single pendant over the sink or the vent hood but.....marble geometric tile!


photo: Fred Chartrand, Ottawa Sun
The main living area, or family room I guess, was just okay-y for me. Is that even a word? Oh well, that's how I felt-underwhelmed, especially after the kitchen. I like the idea of a concrete clad fire place but it looked a bit like foam covered plaster. The office behind the fireplace seemed like an afterthought. Also another damn planter full of sticks, I'd rather see a real plant. Also, beige... you know how I feel about all the beige.

photo: Jean Levac, Ottawa Citizen
Ahhh... back to the good stuff. Glass partition wall, fun light fixture and an interesting wall paneling idea.

photo: Fred Chartrand, Ottawa Sun
I spy some more geometric tile. I'm hoping our DIY chandelier will have the same presence as this one.


The 3-D wall paneling is actually a product called "DUO" and comes as a package. I'd seen it displayed in a big box hardware stores before but it never looked very convincing. It's basically thin wood panels so may be easy to make yourself. Add it to the project list.



photo: Fred Chartrand, Ottawa Sun
This was the Master Bedroom. The only things I liked were the wallpaper and the light fixture. I know, on and on about the lights- I feel like I'm obsessed with lighting since we started building our own. Oh yeah and the side table lamps aren't too bad either. 


photo: Fred Chartrand, Ottawa Sun
Finally the bathrooms. I'm only showing you photos of two.There were more but I found them boring because they didn't have geometric tiles or a shiny silver bathtub. 


What do you think? Would you buy a ticket? It goes to a good cause and you could be the proud owner of a house filled with marble and geometric tile-oh yeah and a weird indoor faux skating rink, if that's your thing. Check out the show home at 800 Percival Crescent in Mahogany, Minto’s community in Manotick or save someone you love from having that look on their face by doing a virtual tour HERE




No Response to "CHEO Dream Home Tour"

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger