Plans for the New House-Paint it Black!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

We're all settled into my parent's basement. Don't feel too bad for us, it's a walk out and we have it good-free meals, free cleaning and free cat care. The cats are going to be so spoiled by the time we leave. I have been plowing right ahead in my design plans for the new house and started looking into quotes to re-upholster the two swivel tub chairs that had been left for us in the old house. I didn't get too far into that when I realized that upholstery is expensive dammit! I'll share my adventures and potential fabric choices for another post, along with the mind boggling cost. I switched gears and started thinking about what to do with the ugly wooden railings that separate the different levels of our house. In our old house my black feature wall turned out to the thing I loved the most. Lately I feel like it's really been a trend to 'Paint it Black' and for good reason. Black makes a great backdrop and can hide a multitude of sins. Painting the railings black will hide the fact that they don't match the wood floors and be a good temporary solution until I get the glass or metal railings I really want. Just like an all black outfit feels cool, using black in interiors adds that same edge. I love the look of industrial black steel doors and windows but it's just one other thing that isn't in the budget. A great way to get the look without replacing everything is to paint the frames and casing black. I think this could really highlight the huge windows we have as well as tie in the black railings.

via 1, 2, 3, 4, 5&6, 7, 8


Here's a quick Photoshop mock-up of what the two living rooms would look like with black windows and railings. Obviously that dining room light will have to go!


With my black striped rug and the DIY chandelier below, black will tie both spaces together. Chad is super excited for another project- he was just telling me it's been too long since I forced him to figure out some vague demand for a high-quality replica. I've loved this light fixture ever since I saw Lukas Machnik steal the show with it on 'American Dream Builder'. We'll need something pretty large in scale to fill the space above the chimney. You can't see it in the picture but there is currently a ceiling fan way up there.




Obviously I can't just stop with the interior. The exterior currently has two of my most hated colours, beige and brown. I'm okay with green but it's just not working here. My stellar Photoshop skills give you a basic idea of how much better I think it's going look once I paint everything black-goodbye 80s, hello modern! 

What do you think? Do you always try to incorporate a few touches of black or would you take the plunge and go for all over drama?



1 Response to Plans for the New House-Paint it Black!

January 17, 2017 at 1:39 AM

I really like the plans you have for your new house! The designs are great and the colors you picked out for the exterior look better than what is currently there. I hope that you get to do all that you want in your new home, it will look great!

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger