A Trip to Austin

Monday, August 25, 2014



As I mentioned in my last post, I got back at the beginning of last week from a work trip to Austin, Texas and yes I honestly felt like I was going to melt in the 103 degree heat (that's almost 40 degrees celsius for those of us who have no idea about fahrenheit). 

I don't normally talk about my day job here on the blog but it is design related (although I don't design anything personally except maybe powerpoints). It has allowed me to travel to a few pretty interesting places and take part in some pretty interesting events.


This conference had a balloon animal maker stationed outside-bonus points! I also wore inappropriate footwear, as per usual. I had some free time one afternoon and decided to venture to down to South Congress or 'SoCo' shopping district. I'm not sure I would call this area a neighbourhood as it was really more of a single short street (despite it saying it was six blocks) in a high traffic area but it had some really beautiful vintage stores that were styled perfectly as well as what looked like fun restaurants and bars.  


I mean isn't this the cutest guide to vintage stores ever! Take a look the guide online here. My three favourite vintage stores were: Prototype Vintage Design, Feathers Boutique and Uncommon Objects. I also loved Allens Boots which was not vintage but pretty special. I can't believe I managed to not buy anything. I think my new trick is to be too busy taking photos of everything. 
Prototype Vintage Design
This store had a curated selection of colour blocked mod vintage set against a backdrop of white. It felt very swinging sixties in the best possible way.



Feathers Boutique
Wearable vintage with a bohemian vibe. I really loved the decor in this space-California cool with an industrial touch. Artwork and new handmade jewelry for sale also. 




Uncommon Objects
I spent a long time in this store (which as Chad knows means a really long time). There is nothing I love more than a curiosity shop and this place has my favourite delicate combination of jam packed attic mixed with carefully selected and arranged vignettes. It's like digging without all the dust. 




Allens Boots
It's just not Texas without cowboy boots. Allens Boots had some really lovely embroidered boots that I knew I had to step away from..but not before taking a picture!



After that I stopped at Amy's Ice Cream and made the grueling walk to see the Texas State Capital before a much needed swim in the hotel pool.


I wish I'd had more time to see some live music and eat more BBQ but maybe I'll save that for a winter trip. How about you? Have you been to Austin, what did you think? More importantly, have you done any good vintage shopping lately?


2 Response to A Trip to Austin

Anonymous
August 26, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Love seeing what visitors think of and do in Austin. I've lived here for a little over a year now.

August 26, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Thanks! I'd love to go back to Austin in the middle of a Canadian winter!

Sarah

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger