Replacement Basement

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Do you like my title? Chad made it up for me. I was going to just use "The Basement" or maybe get crazy and use "Basement Update". Anyhow....this is a post about our ugly basement (that's why you've never seen pictures) and how we need to do something about it.

Chad and almost every other guy who comes over thinks the basement is fine like it is.

 "It has a cool bar and wood paneling. It's like a Mad Men basement!'

Yes, and it also has carpets that may have been installed in 1970 (and by installed I mean held together with duct tape). That wood paneling is also not wood paneling, it's faux wood paneling just like the two layers of faux brick and faux wood wallpaper I removed upstairs. It is stuck in a time warp and while I appreciate the retro vibe the dark and damp thing has got to go. Here are the pictures from the real estate listing:




It's beautiful isn't it? I have no idea why they decided to highlight the underside of the bulkheads by painting them red. I also have no idea why there is a cut out in the wall behind the sofa. Maybe there was a faux fireplace in there at one point? It would tie into their love of faux. We haven't done anything in the basement except remove the mini-drapes and rip out the floating side tables. Here it is in its current state:


The laundry area with a mini-drape that escaped my massacre. Please also note the plastic place mat that is masquerading as a backsplash. 






Here's a better look at the mysterious opening behind the sofa. You can also see the same dusty rose that was used throughout the house. At least they stuck to a design vision - faux and pink all the way!



We have a mounted disco ball people!


I feel like you really needed to see the exquisite craftsmanship put into the carpet installation. The grey of the duct tape truly ties the room together. Can we all agree that Chad and everyone who loves the basement is wrong? I mean there is a time and place for a retro basement but if it means that I don't want to be down there and duct tape is holding it together - it needs to go! 

In an ideal world 'we' would replace the faux paneling with drywall or real wood paneling and install a vinyl floor to look something like this:


Jennifer of Rambling Renovators completed her gorgeous basement renovation with DIY whitewashed plank walls and Kamina Oak laminate flooring. Since we don't have the budget at this point, the other option I've decided on  is to remove the carpet, paint the concrete floor and paint the paneling. This could also be an opportunity to create some kind of pattern on the floor. Here was my inspiration:

Left to Right from Top Left: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Again, bright and white and fun not dark and damp and retro. I'm not sure if it will be worth it to paint a pattern on the floor as we would probably have to cover a majority of it with area rugs to combat a colder concrete floor but boy do I love the look of a patterned floor. I threw together a quick mock-up of the room with a light grey floor and walls: 


It looks like a normal room and not a basement dungeon or stock image of a suburban mid-century modern basement. Looks like it's time to break out the painting supplies - surprise Chad! 


2 Response to Replacement Basement

July 24, 2014 at 4:07 AM

I don't think it's THAT BAD. I've definitely seen worse! But maybe that's just my impression because I really like your furniture you have down there. I think it will look great with the carpeting ripped out (duct tape?!) and a fresh coat of paint. And with the cut-out filled in!

July 24, 2014 at 6:26 AM

So true...it's not really that bad. Maybe it's my phobia of carpet (especially old carpet) that is the reason for my hatred-haha!

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger