Surprise Bathroom Renovation!

Thursday, April 17, 2014

In my last update about the bathroom, I mentioned we were holding off doing any renovations until we had saved up enough money to possibly gut and re-do the whole thing. I also lamented the fact that the old peel-and-stick floor tiles were gross. A very sweet commenter suggested that I just cover those up with more peel-and-stick tiles in the interim. Maybe a fun black and white pattern? You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now that nothing is ever that simple and straightforward. Here was the bathroom last Friday night:


You have to agree that those floor tiles are hideous. They were also peeling up and had a large gap in their placement which was driving me crazy. Before I go into what happened, I'll show you some of my initial bathroom inspirations. First off, my dream bathroom. This would happen if we gutted the entire bathroom and then expanded it, moving the far wall back a couple of feet into the 'hobbit hole'. To illustrate this I've taken some poor quality and embarrassingly messy photos of said 'cave'.



Spoiler alert- I think you now know what happened to my peel and stick tiles (hint- I didn't pick orange ones). Expanding this wall would allow us to create a space to have a freestanding tub under the sloped ceiling and then make a glass shower enclosure where the bathtub is now. I would also imagine this option to be incredibly expensive. Here were my inspiration photos while I was still dreaming:

Top Left 1, 2, 3, 4

Don't they all look amazing! Not to worry I also had a second set of renovation options, just in case adding the tub and shower wasn't in our budget. These inspiration images include refreshing the tile but keeping a similar layout.
Top Left 1, 2, 3, 4
Back to my Saturday morning project. I noticed that the toilet seemed to be leaking. It didn't seem to be leaking that much and since I had debated removing the toilet and sink to stick more tiles down, I thought we could investigate this issue at the same time. So naive...once we removed the toilet we found it had probably been leaking for a long time. 

* On a side note my Mom had an 'I told you so' moment as she had mentioned the toilet may have issues months before due to the constant slight stream of water running down the side of the bowl. She said " this may be an indication of a bigger problem". Bottom line, she was right. If you have a toilet that is doing something like this, as my Mom said, go check it out now. 

The area around the toilet was completed rotted and we had to remove the entire bathroom floor. This turned out to be somewhat of an archaeological dig. After removing the peel-and-stick tile and a layer of rotten plywood, we found this:



Hello old linoleum! You can see the amount of damage around where the toilet was. I also loved seeing that the original bathroom floor matched the old kitchen floor. Too bad it didn't match the bathroom tile at all. We had to remove the floor all the way down to the sub-floor. Please also note our toilet in the bathtub-that was fun.



Luckily, the sub-floor and floor joists were not rotted. They were slightly wet and slightly moldy but only on the surface. We bleached the area and left the fan on overnight. Again, that is the only toilet in our entire house still in the bathtub. The next morning, Chad was super excited to get back to work on my small, quick update.



Here he is laying the new plywood floor and cursing me under his breath. Did I mention that he was scheduled to leave on a business trip that night and wasn't sure if he could re-install the toilet? I was very scared I would be toilet-less for an entire week. After the plywood, he cemented down the 'uncoupling and waterproofing underlayment' ( I don't think that's a word either but that's what Home Depot is telling me this Ditra product is). 



Then Chad thankfully re-installed the toilet (properly this time) and left me with this beautiful bathroom. I think we can call it a day with this one. I mean orange and blue are complimentary colors.

I had always planned on replacing the sink and vanity with a pedestal sink as the room is way too small for such a large piece. I found a great deal on one while we were in Vermont a few months ago, so we already had it waiting in the basement. The old sink had covered some, but not all, of the tile damage. The previous owners had attempted to fix it with paint. I think they did an excellent job, don't you? I mean you can hardly tell what's painted and what's original. You can also see where I scratched some of it off in my earlier investigation of 'what the hell is this?' 

On one hand, this renovation was completely unplanned. On the other, this had been something I was debating since we moved in. The bathroom was the one room in the house that had vintage charm but was functional (unlike the unusable kitchen). Would I be destroying one of the last vestiges of the 1950s by removing the blue tile and replacing it with a boring, basic white tiled modern bathroom simply for resale value? It looks like at least for now, the decision has been made for me. The bathroom is staying blue! I found a few great examples of retro bathrooms to reconfirm my decision:

Top Left 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Up next, the search for replacement vintage blue tile. Retro Renovation is a great resource and a fun browse if you love all things retro. Their guide to finding vintage tile was how I ended up finding a source right here in Montreal. It also lead me to what looks like my dream tile store in New York State- World of Tile


If only I hadn't found a tile that was almost an exact match through the Dal-Tile store in town, I could have convinced Chad to drive 6 hours to experience a place where vintage tile dreams most certainly come true. The only other thing left to do now is to purchase floor tile to complete my new vision.


I wanted something for the floor that would look like it had always been part of the bathroom. I will admit despite all the unplanned work, part of me is excited to finally be able to change the floor and not just slap down another layer of peel-and-stick. I had seen what I now know is called a 'mosaic pinwheel' pattern tile while we were at a big-box store in Vermont at a very reasonable price. Much like in the retro colorful bathroom inspiration picture, this type of tile was historically used in 1950s bathrooms. So now all that's left to do is go on a shopping trip and start tiling!



94 Response to Surprise Bathroom Renovation!

Hana
April 20, 2014 at 5:54 AM

So much hard work, but I'm excited to see it finished! Btw, if you haven't taken the trip to Vermont yet, I'm pretty sure I've seen that exact pinwheel tile at the Eco Depot Ceramique store on Taschereau.

[In other news, your bathroom dreams look a lot like mine, except mine(in addition to removing a wall, gutting the actual bathroom, and moving the tub) also include adding a walk-in shower to the upstairs powder room, which is presently showerless. Even with DIY-ing all of the demo and all the finishing, we have yet to get a quote under 20k.]

April 20, 2014 at 6:54 AM

I'm excited to see it finished as well, but not excited to not have a toilet for another 24hours!
Thanks for the tile tip.

April 23, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I'm envious of anyone who has the patience to do their own renos! Good for you.

...and yes! I listed a bunch of stuff before I left! How amusing that you recognized the photo.

April 29, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Thanks Mina,
I barely have the patience and am more of a task master than anything else-god bless Chad! Best of luck in your new home and city.

June 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Cliffhanger!! Now I need to find the post with the reveal, because I caught a glimpse of it on ABM. So happy you kept the blue - it's stunning.

November 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Your dream bathroom may need some extra space to achieve the results you want. Anyway, I’m just glad that Chad was able to finish the job before leaving for his trip, though it’s hard to imagine how you’re gonna spend the whole week with a messy bathroom! Anyway, I’m curious as to how the renovation went. Any updates?

Evon Brow @ Athens Plumbing

February 9, 2015 at 6:51 AM

Wow! It’s amazing how you managed to do all that by just winging it. Anyway, how are things looking so far? I am so excited to see how it turned out!

Roxanne Vaughn @ Total Plumbing

August 21, 2015 at 12:06 AM

I like the design and the colouring of the bathroom. Really a nice attempt and it grabs attention.Thanks for sharing such a nice blog here with us.

August 21, 2015 at 12:11 AM

I like the design and the colouring of the bathroom. Really a nice attempt and it grabs attention. Really wonderful designs of bathroom you have shared here with us to makeover the bathroom.

September 1, 2015 at 6:32 AM

It is really a great idea of renovation..Bathroom is renovated perfectly..This looks beautiful..
Pedestal Sinks & Toilets

November 11, 2015 at 1:53 AM

My god, that original flooring was hideous! I'd like to congratulate you on replacing your floor with something that is both cool and modern. Having just replaced a kitchen floor for a friend I must say that removing terrible floor styles doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. Hopefully the next generation of flooring styles will age better.

Homer Collins @ Pinnacle Renovations

January 20, 2016 at 8:44 PM

I guess I should avoid peel and stick tiles, lol. Right now, I'm in the process of adding wall art to my own bathroom. The peel and stick tiles at certain locations can cause a few problems but they do work well in a jam. The window in your dream bathroom is looking quite good, in terms of letting light in.

Traci Romero @ Harris Plumbing

March 1, 2016 at 12:11 AM

Its really great post you have shared, which is informative and knowledgeable. I appreciate your great work. Keep me more updates. Bathroom remodeler Austin

March 14, 2016 at 5:30 AM

Cool blog site friend I'm about to suggest this to all my listing contacts. bathroomfittersmanchester.uk

March 23, 2016 at 4:24 PM

I can see why you would want to renovate your old bathroom. Replacing your orange floor and blue tiles with vintage blue tile would look so much better. I like the idea of installing black and white floor tiles like the one in the bottom middle picture. That looks like a huge improvement on the orange floor, and it even has blue tile on the walls like what you're going for to keep the vintage vibe.
http://www.prostylebuilding.com.au/services.php

March 25, 2016 at 5:57 AM

It's one of the best site,.
i really like this renovaiton,
kitchen remodel

April 7, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Thanks for this nice article about kitchen remodeling,.
home remodel las vegas

April 12, 2016 at 10:53 PM

This site is good because they give us a new thing and new ideas and new topic how good all of they are we should appreciate them because of these good thing. I know something information, to know you can click here. bathroom remodelling Austin

May 31, 2016 at 8:46 AM

This is too good and informative post,.
Cooking torch

July 27, 2016 at 2:35 AM

Woo really liked it..
My house is under renovation, so was thinking about the design for my master bathroom. But after viewing this I really got relaxed..
Will go for this :)

August 1, 2016 at 5:14 AM

I know this is quality based blogs along with other stuff.

fire restoration port st lucie

August 3, 2016 at 1:05 AM



Great information. Thanks for providing us such a useful information. Keep up the good work and continue providing us more quality information from time to time.


Home Renovation Services

August 22, 2016 at 2:37 AM

Hey Bud!

I love the way you have put up the basic information regarding bathroom remodelling .I like the design and the colouring of the bathroom. Really a nice attempt and it grabs attention.

Bathroom remodelling means giving a new birth to your bathroom by expelling out the unwanted and undesirable stuff from it.

Thanks for sharing such an informative post with us!

Regards
Fredwingg

Anonymous
August 31, 2016 at 4:42 AM

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your bathroom remodeling project!! I like all the colorful bathroom retro bathrroms.

So much hard work, but I'm excited to see it finished! I think remodel a bathroom is a huge project and we can't achieve success without taking help from a trusted remodeling contractor.

I also refer your mentioned guide of vintage tiles, it really helpful for me. I choose this option because I want to give a unique look to my simple old bathroom.

Glad that I found your post :)

Regards
Ruben

September 28, 2016 at 11:52 PM

It feels awe-inspiring to read such informative and distinctive articles on your websites.

Nicholas

October 3, 2016 at 11:34 PM

I wanna thanks to a great extent for providing such informative and qualitative material therefore often.

24 hour mobile sacramento locksmith

November 8, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Nice blog and very informative also the house is so beautiful.
Thank You,

December 1, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

1300 freestanding bath
small bathroom renovation ideas
1200 bathroom vanity

December 2, 2016 at 10:27 PM

Thanks for sharing a nice information.

Kitchen Floor Tile

December 11, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Hi people,
Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
If someone want to learn more about Mineral Tiles I think this is the right place for you!

December 12, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Thanks for BADRUMSRENOVERING STOCKHOLM I like your post :)

December 13, 2016 at 7:48 AM

Has anyone used a cement tile to?
Cement Tile Morocco

January 20, 2017 at 4:35 AM

Ett badrum är en viktig del av hemmet, det är något som man använder varje dag. Om familjen är stor så kanske man vill göra plats för ett andra eller tredje badrum, men oavsett hur många man har så måste de fungera. BADRUMSRENOVERING STOCKHOLM

March 30, 2017 at 3:28 AM

Beautiful!Thanks for sharing the pictures of your bathroom remodeling project!

Cleveland Hot Tubs



March 30, 2017 at 3:30 AM

Thank you so much for this wonderful article.


Denver Hot Tubs

March 30, 2017 at 3:34 AM

Great information. I like the design of the bathroom.

Bathroom Remodel Albuquerque
Bathroom Remodel Santa Fe




April 25, 2017 at 4:07 AM

I visited your blog for the first time and just been your fan and get many informative information about the Bathroom tiling.
Good job.

Showers

May 1, 2017 at 2:19 AM

Thank you i did really need this topic you share a very nice information about the tile store san fernando valley it's great work.


tile store san fernando valley

May 12, 2017 at 10:39 PM

Amazing blog...Informative blog..I really appreciate your effort.Thank You for sharing this information.Renovation Kuwait

May 31, 2017 at 8:27 AM

good post Foshan Dabbl Sanitary Ware is offering top class products for shower enclosures, neo angle shower doors, frameless sliding glass doors, sliding glass shower doors, custom glass shower doors, shower cubicles, shower door, corner shower enclosures, quadrant shower enclosures , Shower Cabins, Shower Stalls, Walk in Shower Enclosures, shower cubicles kindly visit to the website quadrant shower enclosures, custom, frameless sliding glass shower doors , shower cubicles call us +86-18928507693 email now export2@dabbl.de

June 6, 2017 at 8:31 PM

Absolutely gorgeous. It is so beautiful. You did great job. thanks for sharing with us

June 6, 2017 at 8:31 PM

What an amazing job you did, it's just beautiful! So fresh and clean!

June 6, 2017 at 8:32 PM

This bathroom is absolutely fabulous!! Love everything about it, 

June 9, 2017 at 4:16 AM

Dear admin.
Very useful information about Bathroom Remodeling services.
I like so much the part of this blog, Thank you for your post.
Bathroom Remodeling Company Naples Fl

June 30, 2017 at 9:47 PM

Mike started gutting the bathroom today.. I started with the shower first. Actually, I painted the bathroom Extension first since I was the one doing the work and wouldn't mess up the paint and no paint could get on new floor, etc. I did the shower first-then the floor-toilet and vanity.

Anonymous
July 10, 2017 at 12:11 AM

The really good combination and proper arrangements of stuff make your work more clear and incredible.Recently I have taken services of 'The Plumbing and Gas Guys'for a bathroom renovation.They convert my place into a beautiful one .you can visit them at http://theplumbingandgasguys.com.au Thanks for sharing the above information !!

July 25, 2017 at 11:08 PM

I was really want to get some more detail and information about the decoration but your blog helped me so much thank you for sharing it.

tiling

August 31, 2017 at 11:06 PM

I enjoyed this post a lot. It's not a topic I've seen covered on many blogs. House Renovation Georgia

September 9, 2017 at 10:05 PM

Hi Brownie, thanks for your great idea. I liked the first one. Do you know any bathroom renovators in Melbourne who can provide me something like the 1st image in a cheap rate?

September 15, 2017 at 11:20 PM

Very useful information about Bathroom Remodeling services.
Bathroom Remodel

September 30, 2017 at 9:01 AM

Dabbl shower brand range for custom, corner, walk in, frameless, quadrant, glass shower enclosures, frameless shower screen, shower pivot door, screen sliding door, neo angle shower doors, walk in shower design, shower room etc at Shower Enclosures, Glass Shower Door

November 21, 2017 at 1:23 AM

I found it when I was looking for a different sort of information but I am very interested in these blog..

February 17, 2018 at 1:28 AM

Thanks for your researched posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will come back in the foreseeable future.

quality bathroom remodeling companies

March 4, 2018 at 10:21 PM

Thanks a lot for giving everyone an exceptionally remarkable possiblity to check tips from this blog. It is always so ideal and stuffed with amusement for me and my office co-workers to search your blog particularly thrice in a week to study the new things you will have. And indeed, we're usually fulfilled considering the fantastic tips and hints served by you. Selected 1 areas on this page are ultimately the most beneficial we have had. remodel your bathroom for cheap

March 7, 2018 at 4:14 AM

Excellent tips. Really useful stuff .Never had an idea about this, will look for more of such informative posts from your side... Good job...Keep it up
Bathroom Tiles

March 10, 2018 at 12:43 PM

Excellent tips. Really useful stuff .Never had an idea about this, will look for more of such informative posts from your side... Good job...Keep it up.

KD Plumbing Auckland

March 17, 2018 at 10:41 AM

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My blog site is in the very same area of interest as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from some of the information you present here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Many thanks!small bathroom renovations on a budget

March 27, 2018 at 1:16 AM

Informative and interesting Blog! Beautifully written, as usual, I like the post. Thank you so much for nice sharing with us. Keep posting!

Contractor

March 31, 2018 at 11:35 PM

Hi, Nice post. Thanks for sharing this. I want to remodeling my kitchen and bathroom. Are you provide this service. Or if you have another site like https://goo.gl/maps/Y58FjgCzREw . Let me know.
Thank you

June 7, 2018 at 4:30 AM

Wow...it is amazing... Nice designs you have shared... Keep sharing more designs.

June 21, 2018 at 4:02 AM

Hey, Wow all the posts are very informative for the people who visit this site. Good work! We also have a Website. Please feel free to visit our site. Thank you for sharing.
Bathroom Renovation
Keep Posting:)

January 21, 2020 at 4:25 AM

Builtrite Bathroom Renovations specializes in offering broad range of services including complete bathroom renovation, plumbing, tiling and electrical in South of River and Western Suburbs. We have always maintained a reputation by providing high quality services at an affordable price. We offer free survey & quotes and our pricing is clear with no hidden charges.

March 13, 2020 at 6:48 AM

Excellent post and thanks a lot for sharing this kind of information Thank you so much for posting this important information. This is great.
Renovations in Herne Hill

May 22, 2020 at 2:46 AM

Great Post!!
Thanks for the information..Such a useful information you have posted here.
If you deciding for Sanitärtechnik , then you want to ensure all projects are best and perfect for the taste. Creating a new bathroom design is an exciting challenge. There are many ways to create and renovate a small bathroom in proper design and technique.

August 27, 2020 at 12:23 AM

Great Share ,really informative one .We are a team of web service providers in Denver.
https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/
Renovations in Kennington

September 16, 2020 at 12:36 AM

Wow! I really love your floor work. It's looking awesome. I am planning to change y toilet door and will do some small renovation work. Let see how it will work. Anyway thanks for your useful article.

November 7, 2020 at 12:40 AM


DABBL is a leading supplier for bathroom shower enclosure, bath screen, shower cubicle, shower doors, shower trays and many more with best quality, design and reasonable price at export3@dabbl.de.visit here Shower Cubicle, Shower Doors, Shower Enclosures, Shower Screen Door

November 30, 2020 at 12:07 AM

Extremely informative. I wanted to thank you for this excellent post. I surely enjoyed each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out more new stuff you post in the future.
https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/renovations-in-richmond/
House Renovations in Richmond

March 1, 2021 at 9:30 AM

Nice, Very interested and informative blog. We are the best hardware shops in Hyderabad. we are best at providing the bathroom accessories in Hyderabad

March 3, 2021 at 8:41 PM

The article was up to the point and described the information very effectively. Thanks to blog author for wonderful and informative post.
https://www.lcrenovation.co.uk/house-extension-in-pimlico/
House Renovations in Pimlico

July 11, 2021 at 4:54 AM

I had visited your website. You had done a great job of creating this. It looks beautiful and full of creativity. I appreciate your efforts on this website.

Bathroom remodeler Miami

August 4, 2021 at 1:13 PM

Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us. Aged Care Bathroom Renovations

August 10, 2021 at 3:08 AM

Thanks for sharing this post with us.

Create Your Dream Home Maryland

January 7, 2022 at 9:19 PM

This blog is really helpful, thanks for sharing this. Flooring Demolition and Removal Service contractor offers bathrooms and floors installation, backsplash and wall installation in Miami Florida. Contact us at 786-230-0558.
tile flooring removal

February 7, 2022 at 9:17 PM

The blog is good and fantastic thank you for sharing this post with us. Our bathroom remodel Denver professionals have modern ideas to assist you in changing your bath space décor, regardless of the size of your space or your budget.

March 22, 2022 at 6:35 AM

nice

March 22, 2022 at 1:27 PM

The average cost per square foot for whole home renovations and additions ranges between $275 and $450. Bathroom Renovations
So if you're remodeling a small home space or adding an addition of 2,000 square feet, your total renovation cost would be approximately $550,000 to $900,000.

March 24, 2022 at 2:00 AM

This is one of the best blog i have came through, Modern terrace house renovation experts provide attractive house design in Manchester, Leeds & York. Contact us 07743 224994 for house design.
extension designer Leeds

May 4, 2022 at 2:33 AM

I really like your hardwork.your bathroom remodeling is amazing.keep it up. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

flooring removal miami fl

May 9, 2022 at 2:05 AM

Hi Nice Blog
At RF Plumbing and Heating, our professional engineers have broad knowledge in all aspects of bathrooms, allowing us to carry out top-quality bathroom designs and installations in the properties throughout the Glasgow area. Bathroom installations in Larkhall

May 12, 2022 at 9:33 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
May 25, 2022 at 6:04 AM

If you’re a bathroom renovator, then you know how important it is to choose bathroom furniture that is functional as well as stylish. There are many styles of vanity units from which to choose. This will depend on your preferences and on what type of space you have available in your bathroom. Different styles also match different types of interiors, so make sure you look at bathroom vanities carefully before making a final decision. Get More Information: Bathroom Vanity Units

June 22, 2022 at 9:33 PM

Nice blog, keep sharing such informative blogs. Modern house renovation architecture provides attractive house design in Manchester, Leeds & York. Contact us 07743 224994 for house design.
modern renovation Leeds

June 24, 2022 at 2:48 AM

Hi Admin,

Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post. We are also a bathroom remodel service in Los Angeles and we provide our clients with a stylish design.

September 12, 2022 at 12:54 AM

Thanks for sharing such an amazing and interesting article. The way you describe all the things are really great and if someone want to learn more about bathroom remodeling then see this.

December 18, 2022 at 9:56 PM

I read this post your post so nice and very informative post thanks for sharing this post and to know more about
bathroom renovations toronto
bathroom renovations kitchener
bathroom renovations whitby
kitchen renovations scarborough

January 4, 2023 at 12:39 AM

Learning to acquire the skills for Kitchen remodeling will have the highest return of any skill you can learn.

February 26, 2023 at 4:46 AM

Great piece of writing, I really liked the way you highlighted some really important and significant remodeling contractor. I appreciate your work.

November 23, 2023 at 9:43 PM

This is useful and valuable blog. Thanks for sharing and visit us Full Bathroom Renovation in north vancouver for getting more updates.

February 26, 2024 at 1:36 AM

Rf plumbing and Heating are the professionals to call when you require Gas Engineer And Plumber Larkhall.

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger