Now What...Exterior?

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

It's not like we don't have our hands full with our unexpected bathroom renovation (update coming soon) but it's FINALLY spring and I can't help but notice that the outside our house is looking less than stellar. When we bought the house the exterior was charming and cottage-y. Very cottage-y and slightly 'Greek Isle' inspired which is a bit of stretch for Montreal. It's also no longer matches the modern interior we've tried to create.


The yard and exterior took a bit of a beating during the reno as we mixed concrete and grout out on the side patio and Chad may or may not have run over some of the beautiful blue outdoor carpet with the lawnmower and taken out a plastic planter with the truck. The entire house needs to be repainted as there is some peeling and exposed grey concrete where we filled in the side door and around the new patio door in the back. Obviously my laundry list of changes doesn't end there. Here's what else I'd like to do:


Most of it is pretty straightforward since Chad's already gotten a head start removing the blue carpet and the plastic planters. The brick detail on the side of the house is begging to be painted white and an awning that leads nowhere should be taken down. I've decided to paint the shutters to match the roof but am struggling a bit with a front door colour. A white door is so boring and doesn't let anyone know what kind of personality your house has-apart from bland. Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Via 
Red, Navy, Blue or Yellow (also maybe black or grey-not shown). I've created a few inspiration images for each colour way.

Red Doors -strong yet classic colour
Via clockwise from top 1, 2, 3, 4
Black/Navy Door-also a classic but maybe a bit safe?
Via clockwise from top left 1, 2, 3, 4


Blue/Turquoise Door-I'm really leaning towards this one

Via clockwise from top left 1, 2, 3, 4

Yellow Door-Is the most vibrant choice but is it too much colour?

Via clockwise from top left 1, 2, 3, 4

Grey Door- Another safe option but an updated classic
Via clockwise from top 1, 2, 3, 4


So I need your help, which would you choose? I've done a few mock-ups on the existing front exterior to help you pick.

Currently



Red


Navy


Turquoise


Yellow


Grey


You'll notice I've also taken out the blue lantern, blue house numbers and newspaper holder with my excellent photoshop skills. I already have new house numbers courtesy of my secret santa-thanks Chad's Dad-now I just need a new light fixture. I've made one last mock up of the exterior accessories I'd need (I swear last mock-up) and also included my front runner for front door colour.

Light Fixture, House Numbers, Colours, Planters
What do you think? Yes I need to work on my photoshop skills, but which front door colour should I choose-red, navy, black, turquoise, grey, or yellow? Also if you have any tips on painting a steel door let me know.


2 Response to Now What...Exterior?

April 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I love the turquoise door. A good mix of daring and fun. I feel like it would complement the interior colours.

May 1, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Thanks Heather,
I think that's why I was leaning towards it too. Now to convince Chad to help me paint a steel door!

Brownie All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design - Powered by Blogger